Falklands/Malvinas Day

There are 89 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,556 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• I am not a history buff and I couldn't care less about the issue. My husband is convinced that they islands should be indeed Argentinians but are better off being British.

He gave me a reasoned answer based on who arrived on the islands first and who was in charge when the British conquered them.

I don't really remember why with 'conquered' it can't be settled 'they now belong to', though.

Neither Argentine's nor British arrived on the islands first. Argentina didn't even exist when people first landed the islands.

If we carved up the world by who was there first, it would look drastically different. It's a noble goal, but not in the history of mankind has it worked like that.

Besides, I think conquered is a strong word for the British taking over the islands.

That said, the conversation you had with your husband is very similar to those I have with my family here. They know the islands are better off with the British but support the claim they should be Argentina's. Any attempt to push the conversation to a debate on the actual history of the islands falls apart quickly behind a wall of half truths, rewriting history, and political rhetoric.

• Anytime everything starts to crumble, the gov' will bring up 'malvinas' again and again and never fails to distract the masses.

On a side note, before the malvinas racket existed what the gov' used here to distract the masses was UFO appearances out of no where.....yep the 60s and 70s was a lot easier for the powers that be to redirect attention of the people...

• I think one of the most important human rights that has to be respected is the wishes and desires of local residents.

They day that I hear an Argentine politician say , "Lets listen to what the Falklanders have to say." I will fully agree that they fully repect human rights.....

• An Argentine man who visited the Falklands to pay homage to the fallen has been charged the 30+45% taxes on his card which are normally only charged in 'foreign countries', ergo the tax office (AFIP) considers the Falklands/Malvinas as foreign ground ^^

Es argentino, visitó las Islas Malvinas y le cobraron los impuestos de viajes al exterior: “Es una locura” | TN

• Here's a story of bravery and morality in the closing hours of the war.

English version:

He took out his knife to attack an English soldier, and instead of shooting, the English soldier hugged him and said: "The war is over"🇦🇷

🇦🇷LA HEROIC DEED OF BARUZZO🇦🇷

Corporal Baruzzo was 22 years old and belonged to the Infantry Regiment.

to the 12th Mechanised Infantry Regiment

during the war.

His section, under the command of Lt. 1st Gorriti,

had been stationed at Monte Kent to

to guard a group of

Army Air Force helicopters stationed there, during the days of the war.

m helicopters stationed there, in the days prior to the

combat at Mount Longdon, the Royal Navy

attacked the position and Baruzzo was wounded

Baruzzo was wounded by a splinter in the hand.

a soldier with a shattered leg to the infirmary

to the infirmary, the worst was yet to come.

The worst was yet to come.

On the night of 10 June, the British

launch their offensive, Baruzzo's platoon offers stiff resistance

Baruzzo's platoon put up stiff resistance but were

forced to retreat to Mount Harriet,

leaving the soldiers of Rimec 4 and 12 isolated.

1st Lt. Echeverria, an intelligence officer, groups them together and leads the resistance, offering

and leads the resistance, offering a spectacular

spectacular combat, attracting the bulk of the

of the British fire. Baruzzo strips a fallen British

of a night sight on a fallen British soldier and sharpens his

sharpens his aim on them.

Echeverria is wounded in the leg and falls,

when Baruzzo goes to rescue him, an Englishman appears and shoots the corporal.

appears and shoots at the Corporal, missing him and giving Echeverria

the shot, giving Echeverria time to

Echeverria to shoot and shoot him down.

shoots down an Englishman who was shooting at

Echeverria.

The officer is seriously wounded and bleeding to death.

bleeding to death, Baruzzo makes a tourniquet with a

tourniquet with a cord, insisting that he leave him.

the corporal ignores him and proceeds to take him to the

proceeds to carry him to the rear, bouncing enemy bullets around him.

enemy bullets all around him. Out of nowhere

an English soldier emerges and fires at them

wounding the officer in the shoulder and arm,

Baruzzo shoots him down, the corporal treats him to some

the corporal gives the officer a drink of whisky to calm his

the officer to soothe his ailments.

Worsening the wounded man's situation, the

Subof refuses to abandon his superior officer and

insists on taking him to the rear.

they are suddenly surrounded by soldiers of the 42nd RM Battalion.

without surrendering Baruzzo pulls out his knife as a last

knife as a last-ditch combat measure

but an Englishman disarms him with a light

with a light blow of his rifle, telling him "The war is over

over" and then embraces the Argentinian.

Argentinian.

The officer was transported to the

Uganda Hospital and recovered from his wounds.

As for Baruzzo, for his heroic deed he was awarded the medal "For Valour in Combat". Without understanding why they spared his life after causing several casualties to the British soldiers, they explained to him that they were guided by the code of ethics and military morale, sparing his life by fighting to the end to save one of his comrades.

comrades.

⭐️De all the Army NCOs who were in the Malvinas, only two received the highest distinction to which an Argentine man-at-arms can aspire: the Cross for Heroic Valour in Combat.

One was Private Paltromieri. The other remains a perfect stranger, even to many Malvinas scholars. Corporal Roberto Bacilio Baruzzo.

For his heroism in the battle of Mount Longdon, fighting wounded by shrapnel from bombing raids in the previous days. In that battle Corporal Baruzzo transported wounded men under fire to safety, exposing himself and risking his life on several occasions, and continuing to fight during such manoeuvres against enemy infantry in hand-to-hand combat until he exhausted his ammunition, and even attempting to fight with his knife, until he was taken prisoner by a platoon of Royal Marines.

🇦🇷POR WILL ALWAYS BE HEROES🇦🇷

Spanish:

Further reading:

Roberto Bacilio Baruzzo - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

• Splinter , I’m having trouble following this account. Is it from Wikipedia? There’s a serious problem with multiple repeated phrases, making it difficult to make sense of the story.

I’d really like to read it. As a full-on edit would probably take too much time, could you please just summarize? Thanks very much!

• Splinter , I’m having trouble following this account. Is it from Wikipedia? There’s a serious problem with multiple repeated phrases, making it difficult to make sense of the story.

I’d really like to read it. As a full-on edit would probably take too much time, could you please just summarize? Thanks very much!

I used a translator for the English version. Too long to summarise

• On Tuesday, when Argentina honours the fallen of the 1982 conflict, one has to consider the numerous occupations of the islands over the centuries since humans first landed there in 1764.

One cannot help but look at both sides of the coin and to have a certain sympathy for the Argentine claim, even though the 'English Pirates' claim unbroken possession since 1833.

This is well worth reading:

Falkland Islands - British Colony, Sovereignty Dispute, Wildlife
    Falkland Islands - British Colony, Sovereignty Dispute, Wildlife: The English navigator John Davis in the Desire may have been the first person to sight the…
    www.britannica.com

and perhaps this:

Our history
    Our history
    www.falklands.gov.fk