What next in Argentina? Vegetarian asados?

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,687 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• I could do that - grilled berenjena, tomates, papas, zucchini, drizzled with good aceite de olive, for starters - but I don’t come from a culture of that delicious sequence of meats that add up to a wonderful afternoon!

• Official Post

I could do that - grilled berenjena, tomates, papas, zucchini, drizzled with good aceite de olive, for starters - but I don’t come from a culture of that delicious sequence of meats that add up to a wonderful afternoon!

Curb your enthusiasm Rice, I think they mostly do soy-based meat imitations. Argentinians, always suspicious around veggies. 8o

• Official Post

I have nothing against experimenting and I think it can be fun to try replicate meat food with non-animal ingredients. Time-consuming, certainly. Worth it? Not really.

If you stop eating meat, you don't look for a beef anymore.

We have been trying several vegan food artesanally made in Argentina, but they are all replicas of meat-based dishes we don't crave for.

Chorizo, milanesa, matambre, kebabs... who needs those? There is so much you can do with vegetables...It looks like Argentinians cannot take their mind off of meat, not even the vegan ones!

• The tendency to look to fake meats instead of genuine other foods seems to be worldwide, not just here. (“Try this! It tastes almost real !”). It’s a pity, since imitation ANYTHING is bound to disappoint.

Fresh vegetable season is upon us, and the availability of delicious alternatives is so welcome! Now if only sun-ripened tomatoes could be found. But soon!

• Official Post

The tendency to look to fake meats instead of genuine other foods seems to be worldwide, not just here. (“Try this! It tastes almost real !”). It’s a pity, since imitation ANYTHING is bound to disappoint.

Fresh vegetable season is upon us, and the availability of delicious alternatives is so welcome! Now if only sun-ripened tomatoes could be found. But soon!

Since moving to Argentina we have been eating plenty of vegetables. There are many veggie shops with a great selection all year long, but all products are seasonal. The nice part is that being Argentina so tall, we have good vegetables even in late winter because in the northern regions is already hot.

In Italy, vegetables are cheaper when bought at supermarkets, but not as cheap as here.

In the US they were super expensive. Probably we didn't know where to look, so we relied on Walmart only.

However, one day we were coming back from the Everglades and we run into an improvised vegetable shop set up by Cuban farm workers. They were selling mangos, bananas, oranges... all delicious AND inexpensive.

• You were lucky to spot that pop up market in Florida. A rare occurrence. Usually in the US, when you see a vegetable stand along the road, the prices are at least as high as in the supermarkets.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are generally so much more expensive than processed foods that it is easy to understand why people with very low income usually opt for non-nutritious options.